What is excise duty?

Excise duty is the tax added to petrol sold in NZ to cover costs relating to new and existing roading infrastructure. It is currently 87.4 cents per litre (including GST).


Who is entitled to a petrol refund?

Businesses that use petrol in machinery off the public road are entitled to claim back the road tax portion of their petrol cost. Currently this is 87.4c per litre (including GST).


Why wouldn’t my accountant be doing this for me?

Most accountants don’t process petrol refunds. They specialize in income and GST filed with the IRD. The complexities of the NZTA claim process would mean that in many cases it would not be financially worthwhile for an accountant to complete.

NZ Government Legislation

Please see the link below to view supporting legislation from the Land Transport Management Act 2003.


What is involved in making a claim?

We gather the required information from you, such as machinery details, fuel usage and company information.

We take this, collate and analyse it, run it through our system and create a refund application that contains everything the NZTA requires, in the format they prefer.

It takes up to a couple of months for the claim to be processed by the NZTA. The money is then paid into our company account and forwarded to you minus our fees.

How much can I expect to get back?

As a rough guide, if you are using 50 litres per week in off-road equipment or vehicles, your first claim would be around $3464 (assuming you can provide us with records going back two years). Then you could look forward to an ongoing refund of $398 every three months.

What are your fees?


A one-off $149 establishment fee is deducted from your first return, this covers our initial information gathering and registering you with the NZTA.  


Is set at 17.5% if you have a fuel account with one of our fuel partners or 19.5% if not. This includes a minimum quarterly fee of $47 and is deducted from each quarterly return. No refund, No fee!

*All prices are exclusive of GST and are fully tax-deductible.

How far back can I claim?

We can do a 24 month claim back, separated into eight separate quarters. We can then continue to claim for you quarterly.

Can I claim for diesel?

No, we can only claim Petrol, LPG and CNG

Do I need to keep all my receipts from now on?

Yes, unless you use a fuel card. In which case we can usually liaise directly with your fuel company.

My Accountant has all My Receipts until “The Books” Are Done.

NO problem; we can arrange to access those receipts and liaise with your accountant by signing our “Authority to Act” form. Simple and fast, and very easy for you.

I get bulk farm delivery. Can I still claim?

YES. We can obtain receipts direct. Currently we work with Wealleans, Allied Petroleum, Waitaki Fuel, RD Petroleum, Waitomo, McKeown, McFall’s Fuel and also Farmlands. We are also currently working with other major fuel companies to be able to access your fuel information. Please phone us direct to check, as we are working with some companies that we can obtain a login for all your information on charge cards.

I buy my fuel in containers from a service station. Can I claim?

YES; nearly all petrol used on the farm can be claimed upon. No matter where or how it is purchased. It must have receipts showing purchase and amounts.

We Only Use a Small Amount.

No matter; it is your money that is being held. As little as 10 litres a week will be worth around $796 when initially claimed and an ongoing $100 per quarter. It soon adds up.

Will you keep claiming for me moving forward?

Yes. We will claim for you automatically at the end of every quarter. We make everything as easy as possible for our clients. We’ll contact you for a quick chat about your recent usage. And then you just sit back and wait for the money.